Out of Our Shell
ORP is dedicated to educating and informing the public in the Chesapeake Bay region about the importance of the oyster and to supporting other area organizations also working to protect the bay’s health. Click here for a list of our upcoming and annual events. Below are our major initiatives:
- ORP founded and operates the region’s first Shell Recycling Alliance to engage the public, restaurants and caterers in the race to restore oysters.
- ORP supports dozens of like-minded nonprofits with staff, research and resources to continue our committment in support of thought leadership for Chesapeake Bay restoration.
- ORP visits dozens of camps, festivals and educational events each year and educates students across the region about the importance of oysters to Bay health. As part of this outreach, we provide an interactive, hands-on “Little Nippers” display to various community events so children can experience oyster tonging and host the annual Mermaid Kiss Oyster Fest & “It’s My Bay” Awards in the fall.
- ORP engages Bay-minded corporations through team building events.
- ORP supports the Marylanders Grow Oystersprogram where waterfront homeowners are caring for baby oysters in thousands of cages hanging from their private piers.